peach pie , my mama’s way
My grandma makes the best peach pie. 🍑 She makes the best of a lot of things. She’s 91, still lives independently with my 93-year-old grandpa, and still spends as much time in the kitchen as ever! She just brought one of these pies over last weekend and it was gone before we knew it.
My grandma’s peach pie recipe is different than most others I’ve seen. Hers only has a bottom crust – no lattice on top. Less crust; more filling – exactly the way I like it! Her version also has a gel-like texture and a hint of almond thanks to the almond extract she adds.
Normally I’m not a fan of almond flavoring, but this is one of the few recipes I actually like it in. It blends perfectly with the peaches – and the loads of whipped cream on top. 😊 Pile it on there – that’s the best part! I’m also not normally a huge whipped cream girl, but it’s a must for me with this recipe! And it’s got to be homemade with a little sugar for the full effect. No Cool Whip here, please!
I’m not always one to bake pies on the regular, but this pie is really simple, not at all time-consuming, and made much easier with only one crust. You can make your own pie crust or use one of the store-bought crusts from the refrigerated section. The latter is usually my preference, but my grandma always makes her own, and hers always taste the best. 😊 Possibly because she uses lard. 😂
Summer, I guess this is goodbye! I’ll miss you and your fresh fruit, s’mores, pool days and al fresco dining, but I’m not too sad about getting my first pumpkin white chocolate cooler at Caribou this week, either!
And also, more pie. Apple, anyone? 🍎
by the way, you can get more pie and sweets recipes here, check our recipes and the flavor is guaranteed
What’s your favorite kind of pie and why?PRINTPEACH PIE
Yield: 8 slices
Serving Size: 1 slice
peach pie INGREDIENTS
- 9-inch baked pie crust
- 4 cups sliced peaches (about 6 peaches)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- Homemade whipped cream, for topping
how to make a peach pie , INSTRUCTIONS
- Place one cup of peaches in a saucepan and smash them with a spoon to break them down. Turn heat to medium and add sugar, water, cornstarch, and butter to crushed peaches. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Cook until mixture is clear, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Layer remaining sliced peaches in prepared pie shell. Pour cooled stovetop mixture over peaches.
- Cover pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.
- Slice and serve chilled with lots of homemade whipped cream.